What is VPS Hosting?
Virtual Private Server is a cost-efficient way for small businesses or startups to gain more flexibility and features to function which is way cheaper than using a dedicated server. Most small businesses or start-ups don’t need a dedicated server because they don’t have that much data or bulk data. Hence the same can be managed with VPS. VPS gives you a better option as compared to shared hosting.
How does VPS work?
A Virtual Private Server is a virtual server within a server. One server hosts multiple servers and they work individually. They are separated or segmented using a tool named hypervisor. Hypervisor separates a server from the rest of it and makes it work as an individual unit.
Each VPS can be considered as one dedicated server. It has almost all the functionalities and features that a dedicated server has. It has its own OS which creates an illusion that its an independent dedicated server but it actually is part of the server.
What are the PROs of VPS hosting?
Every hosting plan has its own advantages and disadvantages, based on the needs of the user who will be using it but what good is VPS hosting for, VPS hosting is good for the users who feel that there is a lot of restrictions in shared hosting, users who don’t have the special need of dedicated servers such as startups or small business because they don’t have that much of data and also the users who may not afford dedicated servers.
- Better resource utilization is possible compared to shared hosting.
Cheaper than dedicated servers.
- Security is better when compared to shared hosting.
- Easier to configure than dedicated serves because when you deal with dedicated servers you have to configure everything manually whereas when you deal with a VPS you get to control it via a user interface which is easier than dedicated servers.
- You get better root access to the VPS than shared hosting.
Who needs a VPS hosting?
There are a bunch of people who would need to use VPS hosting. Below we’ve mentioned the scenarios where it would make clear for you about when you need a VPS connection.
- Your business is growing but it is not so big that you need your own private server, you may choose to get VPS hosting.
You have your own set of applications that you want to run then you may go with VPS hosting because your shared hosting does not provide you with that.
- As of now you are already using shared hosting but now you need more functionalities that are not supported by shared hosting or you will have to upgrade your plan you may opt for VPS hosting.
- The data that you have needs more security than in that case you may go with VPS hosting.
- You want better control of your server and make it function according to your own needs you go for VPS hosting.
Top 6 VPS Providers
1. Ionos 1&1 vserver VPS M
Basic plan VPS S starts from $2/mo and it goes high up to VPS XL that is $30/mo, plans can be configured according to your need.
CPU Core: 1 | RAM: 512 MB | SSD – Disk Space: 10 GB | Data Transfer: NA
URL: https://www.hostwinds.com/vps/linux (for Linux)
URL: https://www.hostwinds.com/vps/windows (for windows)
Basic plans start from $5.17/mo and go high up to $23.97/mo
CPU Core: 1 | RAM: 1 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 30 GB | Data Transfer: 1 TB
3. Alibaba Cloud ECS Starter Package
Suitable for China-country specific
The basic plan starts from $2.50/mo and goes high up to $120/mo, all these plans are with respect to China.
CPU Core: 1 | RAM: 1 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 20 GB | Data Transfer: 1 TB
Basic Plan CX11 starts from 2.96 Euros/mo and goes high up to 59.38 Euros/mo, their servers are located in Germany and Finland.
CPU Core: 1 | RAM: 2 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 20 GB | Data Transfer: 20 TB
5. OVH VPS
Basic Plan VPS SSD 1 starts from $3.35/mo and goes high up to VPS SSD 3
Pricing $13.87/mo. Now also available in Australia and Singapore.
CPU Core: 1 | RAM: 2 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 20 GB | Data Transfer: no limit
6. LiquidWeb VPS
Liquid Web provides high specification VPS, it might seem costly but for these high of specifications, it’s not expensive.
The Basic plans start from $59/mo and go high up to $189/mo, These plans are for Linux.
CPU Core: 2 | RAM: 2 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 40 GB | Data Transfer: 10 TB + Free 100 GB Backup
The Basic plans start from $129/mp and go high up to $219/mo, These plans are for Windows.CPU Core: 4 | RAM: 4 GB | SSD – Disk Space: 100 GB | Data Transfer: 10 TB + Free 100 GB Backup